Re: Springs, Evap,

moderate
>>> trail use.
>>Sounds like me..
>Um, perhaps, but I think that I've got a smaller "adventure quotient"

Well.. OK.  But the ultra-reliable part is one of my goals.. I want a rig I
can DRIVE as well as wheel.. as comfy on the highway @ 85mph as it is in the
dirt / mud / rock / snow /whatever.

>>Go for the 2" springs.  It won't hurt. :-)  OTOH, the 4" kit is the same
>>price as the 2"..
>
>Uh oh - lift escalation ;)

Heh.. I'm reminded of the ORD's comments when first Glen Wakefield (Zukinni
and TTC fame) and then Stefan Roth (admin of ORD) got new '98 Cherokees..
Glen got his first.  Everyone gave him grief about his shiny new Jeep.. it
wasn't long before a "mild" 4" lift was installed, ARBs front and rear, a
new grille guard and.. oh heck, throw a winch on there just in case.. bigger
tires.. and.. well.. just a *few* more items to "finish" Glenn's "stock
driver".. <VBG>

Once you catch it, there just doesn't seem to be a cure.. ;)

>>Check out the pics of my '77 on my home page.
>
>It's great to be able to put an IH with a name!  Did your 31s rub before
>you made the recent changes?

I never *knew* the 31x10.5s to rub.  I did hear a few pops and creaks when I
put the '77 onto Ramp Travel at the NW Roundup (see the pics on the '77s
page).  Not sure what it was.  Part of my problem may have been NOT cutting
the bolts off on the roll-bar mount.. I *had* been running 235/75R15s on it
for a LONG time (both of my Scouts came with a set of BRAND NEW 235/75s..
with the lift on it, it looks like I'll be trying to sell 8 perfectly good,
under 10k (5k on one set) 235/75s before long) so I wasn't worried about the
bolts.

Not sure if they dug a little on the RTI, or just what was popping and
creaking, but I never noticed any "rub".

I'll add that I installed the Skyjacker kit per the instructions.  By doing
this, I've pretty much limited myself to 31" tires.  WHEN I have the $$$ to
outfit my truck with 4 new 33s, I will either flip the rear springs around
or re-drill the center pin on the rear leafs.  The Skyjacker kit relocates
the rear axle forward a 1/2" or 1" so you can keep the stock driveline.  (I
had to use my Hi-Lift and some chain around the front axle to "pull" the
rear end forward to get the center pin located)

With the kit as-is, 33s will (should) rub the front of the rear wheel well..
thus I'll move the axle backwards with 33s when the time comes.  Of course,
that'll be the same time I drop in a V8 or a close 4spd.. the 196 does well
'nuff with the 4.09s and 31s, but I don't feel like pushing it.. there  are
a few hills in town I have trouble with as-is.

But, if you want to run 31s (at least for a good while), it works great
as-is, and requires no further modifications.

The pics online show the "before" and "after"  Before the tires were
"tight", but never rubbed.. now the truck just looks GREAT with enough room
to articulate those 31s..

Unfortunately, I haven't hit the trail yet.. (aside from my usual hopping
curbs and such).. but maybe I'll talk Julie into a drive tonight..

Also, the springs have "settled" somewhat.  Either that, or I'm used to it,
but the front doesn't seem to sit *quite* so much higher than the rear now.

>>If you want to do it "right", do a reverse shackle front end, cut and
>>twist the front knuckles (the RS likes it, and your Scout will track
>>front springs for the front.. the RS should bring things up around 1.5"
>>from most accounts.
>
>Are there any kits available that have a shakle reversal mount, 2"
>springs for the back, and stock springs for the front?

No.. I wonder if there SHOULD be? :-)

Scout MADness sells a reverse shackle kit.. $500 with a new driveshaft.  It
probably requires welding and such anyhow.. and the design isn't that
complex to duplicate on your own, or with the help of an experienced welder.
Jim Weed has the details (off-road.com/~jweed)

Twisting the front axle is the "tricky" part.. but it's also the part
that'll net the most gain in on-road manners.

>>On my '72 w/ 304, I have an evaporative recovery (charcoal) cannister taking
>>up my extra battery spot.  Can this be safely removed?
>
>Depends on what you mean by "safely".
>B.  The practical legal issues: the state of Montana probably doesn't
>    inspect for it now.  And it may never.  However, it may one day.

Hmm..  I haven't changed the filters, and as yet Montana doesn't have any
inspections..

My 196 doesn't have one.. FAIK it never did, and it's a '77.

I haven't changed the charcoal filter EVER.. nor do I think the previous
owners did (I'm the third!) in it's 26yr life..

Hmm..

Someone explain it's operation again?  It collects gas fumes from the carb,
and recycles it back to the gas tank?

What about my installation of a new Holley 2300 (7744?) 350cfm carb..
probably did more for "emissions" than anything else..

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs