Springs, Evap,

Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided> wrote:

>> My objective for this vehicle is for it to be a super-reliable, reasonably
>> economical fun daily commuter that occasionally will be used for moderate
>> trail use.

>Sounds like me..

Um, perhaps, but I think that I've got a smaller "adventure quotient"

>>     2.  Install new stock springs all round.  I've heard that Skyjacker
>>         I could go to a 2" lift, but really don't see any need to go
>>         higher than this.  I'll replace the spring bushings along
>>         the way, and consider a rear shackle conversion.

>Go for the 2" springs.  It won't hurt. :-)  OTOH, the 4" kit is the same
>price as the 2"..

Uh oh - lift escalation ;)

>Check out the pics of my '77 on my home page.

It's great to be able to put an IH with a name!  Did your 31s rub before
you made the recent changes?

>If you want to do it "right", do a reverse shackle front end, cut and
>twist the front knuckles (the RS likes it, and your Scout will track
>straighter), and then put 2" lift springs in the back.  Get some used
>front springs for the front.. the RS should bring things up around 1.5"
>from most accounts.

Are there any kits available that have a shakle reversal mount, 2"
springs for the back, and stock springs for the front?

>Tom's bouncy springs: If you want to take some of the "bounce" out of the =
>front end just hang about 200 lb. of winch and bumper out front, worked =
>for me.

Doesn't that make a Scout awfully nose-heavy though?

>On my '72 w/ 304, I have an evaporative recovery (charcoal) cannister taking
>up my extra battery spot.  Can this be safely removed?

Depends on what you mean by "safely".
A.  The theoretical legal issues:  it is a part of the emissions equipment
    for this vehicle. Federal law requires it for all the the light line
    IHs from 1970 through 1980 except for some pickups & travelalls using
    the AMC 401 for a few years.
B.  The practical legal issues: the state of Montana probably doesn't
    inspect for it now.  And it may never.  However, it may one day.
C.  The theoretical environmental issues:  it is necessary in order
    to avoid polluting the atmosphere with gasoline vapors.
D.  The practical environmental issues:  it probably isn't doing anything
    useful unless the filters have been changed in the last four years
    anyway.

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1974 Travelall