Re: Suspension questions

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Ken Farmer wrote:

> My objective for this vehicle is for it to be a super-reliable, reasonably
> economical fun daily commuter that occasionally will be used for moderate
> trail use.

Sounds like me..

>     2.  Install new stock springs all round.  I've heard that Skyjacker
>         I could go to a 2" lift, but really don't see any need to go
>         higher than this.  I'll replace the spring bushings along
>         the way, and consider a rear shackle conversion.

Go for the 2" springs.  It won't hurt. :-)  OTOH, the 4" kit is the same
price as the 2"..

Check out the pics of my '77 on my home page.

Rear shackle?  The "proper" term would be a Reverse Shackle.

If you want to do it "right", do a reverse shackle front end, cut and
twist the front knuckles (the RS likes it, and your Scout will track
straighter), and then put 2" lift springs in the back.  Get some used
front springs for the front.. the RS should bring things up around 1.5"
from most accounts.

This is what I had in mind for "Julie's" '77 before she pointed to Spare
Parts and it's 39" Swampers... :-)  (She just chimed in she wants
*44s*).

Just a little over stock, but enough to make a difference.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout/index.html
'72 and '77 Scout IIs