Stan's Tri-Ys

I've got these on my Scout, and after changing from stock manifolds
to these, a balance tube, and two free-flow cats I noticed a minor
performance gain.  This is with a healthy 304, using 3.73 axles, small
tires, etc.  Of course, there's no way for me to compare this to the
standard header config.

But...my understanding of "header theory" is that the tri-ys should
be better for low-rpm hi-torque applications that can benefit from
their "scavaging" effect.

Just like somebody said last year (Joel?), you can just about throw
them at the Scout and they'll install themselves.  However, just like
Steve wrote, it looks like more of an obstacle to get to your starter.
BTW, my old starter died right after installing these (hmmmm?), and
I installed a new one with a heat shield and have had no problems since.

The quality of the headers is top-notch.  I ordered them from Giddem
Up Scouts (they were cheaper than going direct), went for the chromes
for longevity, it took something like 3-4 weeks to arrive, and I almost
went with the ones that are sold by Outback (everyone says that they
are even better, but I couldn't get a manufacturer name or contact
from anybody, so I skipped it).

Ken Farmer