Re: clarification

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Jon Wangelin wrote:

> Today I was just thinking about some past digests and needed some
> clarifications on a couple items.  Will any IHC motor (IHC 4, 6, and 8) bolt
> up to any IHC transmission? (with the exception of early 80/800's that are

If we're talking 1960-1980 IH light line motors, I don't think there IS
an "IH" 6cyl.. IH outsourced the 6cyl to AMC for the 232 and 258 I-6s.

That said, any IH 4cyl or V8 (watch out for a few AMC 401s in the 70s
light-line trucks) will bolt up to any other.  You'll need the
bellhousing that matches the tranny though.  (i.e. don't take your 152
motor with a 3spd and try to swap a 4spd in place w/ the 3spd
bellhousing.. according to Howard, after 75 this is a non issue)

The diesel uses a different bolt pattern (as does the AMC 6cyl).  So..
there's really 3 parts to this Q.

Engine pattern, tranny pattern, and the bellhousing to mate what to what.

The IH 4cyl and V8s have the same engine pattern.

The trannies have the same pattern that mates to the bellhousing..
(sorta.. 3spd and 4spds have some differences, and the autos throw things
off, but all 4spds have one pattern, all 3spds another, and post 75, all
3/4spds have the same).

The interesting parts is the bellhousings and their patterns.

Diesel --> auto
Diesel --> 3spd/4spd are all available.
4cyl/V8 --> Auto (Borg Warner)
4cyl/V8 --> 3spd, 4spd, and post75 3/4spd avail.
AMC --> Auto (BW)
AMC --> 3spd or 4spd (pre 75)

Plus the TF727 with it's one piece tranny and bellhousing..

So.. if you had a Diesel Scout with a T19, and you wanted to put it
behind a 152 in your Scout 80.. you could probably use the 152-->3spd
bellhousing with the T19.  Howard said there are some differences, but I
don't know if they would prohibit such a swap or not.  If so, you could
definitely take a 152-->4spd bellhousing and use it with the Diesel's T19.

Am I just confusing folks?  :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs
To the Digest: -hello from the s.o.(julie, my wonderful girlfriend:)