Re: You do need the gold box.

An example of <hofs@domain.elided>'s troubled thought patterns:

>Hey John, if the gold box is the big pain in the neck with the Holley, it
>doesn't make much sense to add the MSD unless you make some sort of
>distributor modification, does it?

Well that sort of depends I guess.  For starters, the Holley electronic system
isn't really all that bad (my opinion of course).  I mean, they do have
problems sometimes, but so do lots of other ignition systems... breaker points
included.  If the primary goal is to add a powerful multi-spark ignition
system to a Holley electronic ignition equipped Scout, then installing the MSD
system without doing anything else is not a bad approach.  You're certainly no
worse off than before and most would agree much better.

If having an ultra-reliable ignition system is the ultimate goal, then
certainly there are better options than continuing to use the Holley system as
the trigger.  But arguably the prestolite is really no better.  I mean, with
either the Holley or Prestolite, if the electronic module fails, the MSD isn't
going to be working either!

>It would be a public service for MSD to tell us that in their directions.

I suspect the problem with the MSD instruction manual is that they tried to
cover most *popular* ignition system.  Face it, the electronic ignition
systems used on IH vehicles aren't the main stream.  In the several
conversations and many e-mails I've had with MSD, I get the feeling they never
touched an IH engine for testing.  We probably aren't alone though... there
are likely other obscure vehicle owner groups feeling the same way.

Take care,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)