Re: Tom's lift

On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Nicholas Rayer Jr wrote:

> I have a similar problem with my 79. It has a Rancho 2.5 lift on it. It
> the problem arises. The new fiberglass body is significantly lighter
> than the steel one that was on it. the shackles on both ends angle in
> towards the center and my 2.5 inch lift is now about 4.5!
> How do I get it back down, and the shackles pointed the right way?
> Nothing is bound up since I didn't touch the suspension, just the body.
> My only thought is to remove a leaf, but which one?

I'd try "prying" the shackles out (like I did) first..

Find a big tree.  Put your tree-protector (or a cheap-o tow strap) strap
around the tree.  Put another strap (or chain) around your two front leaf
spring eyes on the "bottom" side of things.. (anchor the tree higher up).

Put your Hi-Lift jack in the middle, hook one strap to one end of the
jack (body) and one end to the lifting arm or whatever that's called.
Then "jack" away.

Mine moved to the right position very easily once I loosened up the bolts.

It also brought the front end down a little bit when the shackles flipped
forward and stretched the front springs a little "flatter".

Try that first.

-Tom (Been there, Done That.. *sigh*)