Re: Tom Reed's take on Tom M's shackles.

Hmm...  now that I think about it, I made new shackles for
the rear, reversed the part that I could on the front, and
the big, fancy part of the front shackles weren't mangled.
Maybe that's what helped the ride.  I still have the bolts
just tight enough to take out the side play and not distort
the bushings.  ...been running fine for 2 years, but only
probably a couple of thousand miles.  The torque might
actually be somewhere around 30 ft-lbs or so.  I didn't use
a torque wrench.  The steel sleeve does need to contact
undamaged shackle, or it will allow the urethane bushing to
compress too far.  ...and since you'd be tightening against
the steel sleeve, the torque wouldn't be too critical.
...but something has to be loose enough to allow the shackle
to pivot.

Doug