steering wheel clip

John wrote:

>Does anyone have any idea how the heck you're supposed to get at the locking
>clip under the steering wheel on a tilt steering wheel column shaft?

When I put tilt and cruise into my 76 Scout from a 78 donor I found that the
push plate was gone but the clip had been put back on. Since the plate goes
"underneath" the clip there was no way another plate could be used until the
clip was off. Solution: Get the tool for depressing the plate, it's cheap
and at most part stores. Drill out the center of a spare plate to clear the
clip, or find a suitable large washer and weld ears on it big enough for the
tool to push on. If I understand your situation this should allow you to
force the thrust washer down to remove the clip. If you were ambitious you
could also probably tack weld two more legs on the tool which were a bit
longer than the original at the same width as the thrust washer. Just a thought.

Regards,

Garry