Re: Spark plugs

>I would like some suggestions from all you part-time mech's out there.
>   I am about to change my plugs and would like to know what plugs you
>would recommend and why.
>
>77' Scout II - 304 V8
>Will be towing approx. 7500 Lbs
>        Changing altitude and humidity levels over lengthy travels.
>Engine temp has been optimal until now.

Lengthy prior discussion seemed to indicate that people like me that paid
for Splitfires had wasted their money, and experience has borne that out
in my case. Beyond that, opinion varied widely with perhaps NGKs getting
the most recommendations. In my case, before going with the Splitfires, I
used Champions one setting hotter than the manual recommended, because
that's what my IH mechanic suggested years ago. Splitfire now has
platinum pads on each of their electrodes and that may improve the plug
although I've seen no review of the new design. $10 a plug would
necessitate a heck of lot better plug to make the expense worth while.
For what it is worth (less than 2 cents) I'm going to try NGK's V-power
plugs at $1.69 next time. It would be interesting to know if anyone has
tried Champion's racing plugs in their V-8s.

That's a lot of weight to tow behind your Scout. I towed around 5500
pounds behind my SSII but I had a really good equalizer hitch setup, with
the trailer and the Scout both sitting level when towing. In my opinion,
with a good equalizer hitch an anti-sway device is unnecessary, but if
not-enough equalization is taking too much weight off the front axle of
your Scout, or too much equalization is taking too much weight off the
back axle, the potential for losing control when going down a grade is
scary. Besides being superfilous (which for some reason I can't spell
today) you have to take it off to back up and I really don't like having
to remember to do that. I was in Pullman, WA one time, but the only thing
I can remember about it was my trailer being in complete control of what
it was doing, going down a grade near there. Your Scout is heavy enough
for the trailer you plan on towing, but if you compare the wheel base of
your Scout (118 inches) with the distance from the Scout's rear axle to
the axle of your trailer (maybe close to 200 inches) you'll realize which
device has the mechanical advantage due to its longer lever.

The correct use of equalizers is really easy if you follow these
procedures.
Jack up your trailer so that it is level. Back your Scout into position
in front of the trailer. Measure how much drop you will need for your
ball to fit into its socket and have a stinger made with that dimension.
Put your trailer on the ball and tighten the equalizers so that the
trailer and Scout are again both sitting level.

Be careful before you start your tow, and you'll have a lot less trouble
after you start the tow. Sorry for preaching to you, but it's terribly
important.
John

John Hofstetter  "Ol'Saline's Web Site" www.goldrush.com/~hofs
Life Member, National Rifle Association     California Rifle and Pistol
Asc.
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"