Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:19:16 -0000
From: "A C " <ABORIGINAL@domain.elided>
Subject: OFFROAD and brake hose?

Well ihers I had my first day of urban OFFROAD experience today!
<snip>
.... wahoo offroad!!! A.C.

------------------------------

bard@domain.elided,

     Personally I too am partial to the Bocsh Platinums.  They are usually twice
as expensive as the ND ($1.78 Bosch, $0.79 ND), and they last a LONG time and
keep a gap.  About two weeks after I got my scout II, 8/91 I bought a set of
plats, and put 'em in.  About a year ago, I checked the gap, hadn't changed, not
even .001"!  Brushed them clean, to see if the center was cracked, fine, put
them back in.  I've got John beat, I have 70K miles on these and they still run
great!  The key to the Bosch plats is that the center electrode is housed in a
conic ceramic section.  As the center erodes,the gap between the ceramic and the
gap electrode stays the same, though the center electrode may actually be
receeding.  The effective gap is still the same,, so they keep on going.

     One of the best thing I ever did, was to get a new cap, and rotor, new
Autolite (lifetime) wires,and Bosch plats.  Still in there, and like I said, 70k
miles without a whimper.

     Hope it helps,

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.