Re: Spark Plugs ???

bard@domain.elided scribbled in the sand:

>I would like some suggestions from all you part-time mech's out there.
>   I am about to change my plugs and would like to know what plugs you
>would recommend and why.

I'm particular to Bosch platinum plugs myself.  They have a stainless steel
body so there's never any rust and the platinum center electrode lasts a very
very long time without any increase in the gap.

I started using these plugs in my turbo charged 1987 Subaru wagon after the
first few times I changed the plugs.  The turbulence inside the cylinders was
eating away at the center electrode of the standard ND and NGK causing rough
running in a short time.  Using the Bosch platinum plugs completely solved the
problem.  I now run the same set of plugs over 25,000 miles without any
decrease in performance.

When I first got my Traveler, I threw in some inexpensive Autolite plugs and
discovered they were starting to rust after just a few thousand miles.  I
called around and was pleased to find Bosch makes their platinum plugs to fit
IH engines.  Just about every spark plug manufacturer offers platinum plugs
these days.  Brand is not very important, so just find one that has a
stainless steel body and then you can pick whether you want to pay for just a
platinum center electrode or pay a bit more and have *both* electrodes made of
platinum.

If nothing else, platinum plugs are also a very good idea if you are running
an aftermarket multi-spark ignition system.  Whatever you do, *do not* waste
your money on those over priced (and proven ineffective in several 3rd party
studies) Splitfire plugs.

Just my $0.02 worth,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |     1977 Scout II Traveler (Parts)