Re: Mobile communications for Binders

On Mon, 09 Feb 1998 17:59:41 -0800 bard@domain.elided writes:
>Help me figure out what would be the best setup for keeping in touch
>with 'home base'. I have a '77 Scout II and 30' Airstream trailer which
>will be travelling to Alaska this year and I need to find out which form
>of mobile communications will work best. I have a cobra CB in the scout
>but do not think that I will get enough range to feel comfortable. I was
>hoping not to have to mount a 2-mile high antenna on the trailer, but
>need something that will work well in the bush

You might get by with just a 1-mile high antenna, but unfortunately there
is little that will substitute for height in getting range and very
little that will penetrate the ground when you're over the next hill.
Some kind of fold-over mast mounted to the side of the trailer to get the
antenna up 25-30 feet could be a good start for range out in the back
country.  I've never used it, but Single Side Band CB does allow you to
legally run more power and probably will give more range although the
terrain will often govern your range more than power will.

Two Meters on Ham Radio is a good choice when you're in the lower 48
states as the multitude of repeaters gives you access to lots of 100 to
500 foot antennas (and 10,000 foot antennas when they're installed on
mountain tops in Colorado), but this also involves getting licensed.
This has proven great the few times I've been able to go 4 Wheeling with
other hams where there is a repeater within range.

Some of the other ham bands can offer extended range without repeaters,
but at the expense of more expensive radios and more technical knowledge
for their operation.

Business band radios generally are on frequencies similar to ham
frequencies and often rely on their own repeaters or tall base antennas
for their range, so you won't gain much there.  In addition, getting
something that could be used while traveling through Canada could get
complicated.

A couple of cell phones would probably be a good backup to whatever
radios you choose, but they won't help you in all the places you're going
to be either.

You need some type of satellite communications system like the major
truck lines use for 100% coverage.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]