Mobile communications for Binders

Help me figure out what would be the best setup for keeping in touch
with 'home base'. I have a '77 Scout II and 30' Airstream trailer which
will be travelling to Alaska this year and I need to find out which form
of mobile communications will work best. I have a cobra CB in the scout
but do not think that I will get enough range to feel comfortable. I was
hoping not to have to mount a 2-mile high antenna on the trailer, but
need something that will work well in the bush