Re: intake manifold swap/Dana300 swap

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:58:07 -0500 Mark Prescott <cn1135@domain.elided>
writes:
>Hey folks,
>
>I have a 77 345A engine with a two-barrel intake. I have an early 70's
>345 with a two-barrel intake. Will these swap? The only physical
>difference I can see is the dipstick is mounted on the front right of
>the older engine.

It should fit OK.  There is a chance of some loss of cooling ability as
there were some revisions made to improve cooling over the years and this
changes may have included adding or blocking passages between the heads
and manifold, but I can't remember exactly.  I may be able to find more.
I wouldn't say don't use it, but if you can keep the original, I would
just to be on the safe side.

>Also, I have a chance to swap in a Dana 300 from a 1980 scout into my
>77SSII. Will the output shaft of my T-19(hooked to D20) hook up to the
>input of the D300? Will I have to make any alteration to the crossmember
>or the mounting location of the crossmember. Will I have to
lengthen/shorten any drive shafts?

I've done it and the 300 will bolt right in--the biggest difficulty is to
stretch the speedo cable around to the right side rather than the left.
The output shaft on the T-19 is the same, but you do need to swap the T/C
input gear that bolts to the transmission output shaft along with the
case as the gear is different between the two cases.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]