Re: T/C and 727 removal

If you've got access to an engine crane, there's an easy way to remove the
transfer case first.  Pull the cover from the transmission tunnel.  Put the
boom of the engine hoist in through the passenger's door.  Then make a rope
sling around the the transfer case and hook it to the crane.  Now you can
separate the transfer case from the transmission and lower it to the floor.
Then unhook the hoist and slide the transfer case out from under the truck.  I
haven't tried this for the transmission and transfer case together, but I
suspect that balance would be a problem.

Jerry Muncie

<< Tom,
 Having just pulled my T/C and tranny I would say drain the T/C.  When
 you go to separate the the two, it can get messy with fluid draining out
 of the T/C.

 Joel,
 In removing the 727, I put the front wheels on ramps (facing forward)
 and dropped the T/C, tranny, and crossmember as one unit.  With a bottle
 jack and a 2x4 under the oil pan, I just lowered the tranny down.  With
 the Scout on ramps, the tranny just slid out the side, right behind the
 spring mount.  I know that the T-all will be different in terms of the
 T/C, but dropping the crossmember made it a lot easier (dropping
 straight down).

 Mark
 '75 345, 727 (still waiting to put the tranny back in) >>