RE: '59 BC-150 Info Wanted

>What I would like from this group of experts is any information about this
>truck.  Have looked at a lot of IHC books, but can't find much about it.
>It has a rated GVW of 9,000 pounds but looks much more heavy duty than
>that.  Saw several posts about line tickets.  Did that on my S1900 - are
>they available on something this old?

>Jim Shepherd

Well, I'm far from an expert in anything, but some cocktail hour perusal of
Crismon's International Trucks reveals the following:

The BC comes from the AC, which was introduced in 1957 as a completely new
type of truck. The AC was a cross between a cabover and conventional, with
the goal of providing the operator comfort of a conventional while reducing
the BBC(bumper to back of cab)dimension significantly. The A series
conventional had a BBC of 105", while the AC reduced that to 89.75". The
cab from the A series(and later B series) was used, mounted on a medium
duty truck chassis where it rode about 3" higher than in the light line. A
 new 'doghouse' style hood was added to this cab with a square grill and
low mounted seperate fenders. Because of the size of some of the available
engines and the short hood line, the engine protruded into the cab further
than on the light line. The AC and BC were the direct predecessors of the
Loadstar, and proved the concept so well that the Loadstar went on to
become one of IH's most famous and durable designs.

As an sidebar, this was a confusing time for truck operators and
manufacturers due to the wide variety of size/weight/length regulations
that varied from state to state. Before standardization of the reg's by
federal agencies, manufacturers focussed on the BBC dimensions rather
closely. In this way an operator could know if a specific model would be
suitable for the trailer(s) or mounted bodies/equipment in light of the
regulations for their operating arena. For example, some operators had long
haul semi-trailer rigs that could only be operated in 4-5 adjoining western
states! Because of the general confusion, it made sense for operators to
try for the shortest BBC possible to give them the widest range of possible
legal rolling stock. Cabovers like the DCO and ACO series had the shortest
BBC's, but cabovers from those days were probably not very comfortable on
long hauls and tended to have cramped cabs compared to conventionals. That
explains the motivation for IH to keep the conventional cab while
shortening the BBC as much as practical.

Some GVW's:

AC-150 9,000#
AC-152 12,500#
AC-154 15,000#

AC-160 through 164 16-19,000#
AC-170 through 174 18-20,000#
AC-180 through 184 19-22,000#

And some heavy duty diesel versions usually seen as straight trucks:

AC-1890 21,000#
AC-1892 25,500#

The AC changed to the BC in 1959 when the light line went from A series to
B series. GVW's in the BC series were comparable, as were the model
offerings. The only change in appearance I can identify between the AC and
BC is the use of dual headlights on the BC(very trendy in '59, but not
legal yet in all states, including CA). In 1960, even heavier rigs were
offered on the BC platform. One example is the BC-225-D, with a 34,000# GVW
and a Cummins NH-180 diesel.

The BC series was superceded entirely by the Loadstar, introduced in 1962.
The only BC's that did not have comparable models in Loadstars were the
lightest(BC-150) and the heaviest non-diesel(BC-180). The Loadstar, in
addition to featuring the styling we know so well, had a slightly longer
engine compartment which got some of the engine out of the cab compared to
the BC. By this time, operators were less concerned about BBC dimensions,
so this additional length didn't hurt the Loadstar a bit and made for a
cooler, quieter cab.

So, Jim, I'd have to say that your lightweight BC-150 is probably a pretty
rare truck. It covered a GVW very close to the light line, but must have
cost more new. They were only made for 2-3 years, and the lack of a
Loadstar replacement at that GVW tells me they probably didn't sell many of
them. It'll ride a lot better than most medium duty trucks 'cause of the
lighter springs, and you can do a lot worse than the A/B series cab for
comfort. I suspect an LST is not available for light line trucks this
early, but I don't know for sure. Anybody??

Jim