Re: Manual Transmission Stalling

Ken,
	I have to agree with Curt on this one, although I have been driving
manual trans. since I got my license way back in mid 1990, my Scouts T19 is
the first I have really heel-toed, slam shifted, or whatever you want to
call it on a regular basis.  It just sort of happened out of neccesity.  My
T19 wouldn't shift into 1st either.  I dont think they are synchroed in
first, not sure, but what I learned to do was this, at about 1500 ease the
shifter up out of secondinto neutral, toe on the brake, heel on the gas,
kick the gas down get her up to about 2800-3000 a little pressure up on the
shifter and she'll slide right in.  The revs being generic, its usually
about twice the revs from second to first having not changed wheel speed
too much.  Once the shifter is any gear, its just a mechanical link, right?
 The drive train will run at any speed its driven, if the engine could run
at 500-8000 comfortably, you'ld only need 1st gear!;)  I've gotten to the
point where I seldom use the clutch except at stop lights, and I only hear
a gear argue with me once in a while if my timing is off just a bit.
Tractor trailers and other heavy trucks almost never use the clutch to
shift, their ratios are so close that they slip right into the next gear.
Keep practicing.  I'd try it in a parking lot a few times.  Good luck.
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20