Re: ihc-digest V5 #170

>Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 18:26:05 GMT
>From: jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>Subject: Ignition Timing with a Prestolite?
>
>Hello gang,

>Can someone who has the appropriate year IH shop manual that covers the
>Prestolite distributor tell me what the initial advance setting should be?
>I seem to recall seeing a '79 Scout at a wrecking yard with a sticker under
>the hood that said something to the effect that the initial advance setting
>had been changed by the factory and to now set it at [I think] 2-1/2
>degrees BTDC... or was it 5 degrees BTDC.
>
>I'd also like to know the published advance curve so I can compare that to
>the previous distributors I've tried.  I should mention that with my former
>distributors (both Holly points and electronic), while the engine was
>peppier during lower rpm acceleration, I was always on the edge of pinging
>under heavy acceleration.
>
>Any assistance is appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>John

John,
Just got back from a couple of weeks in Florida and am catching up with the
digest.  My Terra is a 79, but I have the 78 manual I that I bought for my
SSII. My manual won't help with the Prestolite, but my 79's emissions
sticker says the timing setting is 0. I wasn't comfortable with that
setting but any advance from that caused lots of pinging. Not much help.
John

John Hofstetter, who nets at   http://www.goldrush.com/~hofs
PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
Owner of 79 Scout Terra  with 8000 lb. Warn Winch,
Detroit Locker in rear and LS in front,
 4" Trailmaster lift    Holley E F I  Mallory Unilite Dist.   MSD ignition
Too darn long and too darn wide  to always go where I ask it to go.
NRA, Life Member   Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assn.
Blue Ribbon Coalition              Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group     MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators,  Life Member