Backfiring through carb

A few days ago Chris Procyk wrote that his Scout II had started backfiring
through the carb.  I meant to reply last night (2:00 isn't that late, is it?:),
but I forgot and went to bed.  Oops.
        We've had several engines start acting poorly, as if they've jumped
time, or just won't time since I've started working at our Case dealer.  The
most common problem has been a bent pushrod.  These seem to happen four or
five times a year, and not always due to mistreatment.
        The other, much worse problem we had was a bent connecting rod.  The
connecting rod was on a tiny three cylinder diesel, though.
        Personally, my chain-driven Toyota jumped time on me two years ago.
I thought the car was ruined, but after changing the timing gears and chain
we didn't even need to retime it.  It started and ran like a top.  Still
does, too.:)

Good luck,
Denni Feagins
'73 Scout II, TF727, Dana 20 and a replacement (thanks) open differential!!