Re: Engine swaps!

>it's just too much motor.  Like putting built/pumped Chev BBs (454, etc) in
>certainly don't want to have that as a potential!  Oops, sorry honey, I
wheelied
>the J@@P on it's butt today, can I use your car?

Isn't that why they always have the spare tire mounted on the tailgate?
Thus, they keep the rubber side down... :-)

>     The 196 is plenty for an '80 or 800, if you ask me.  The 345 will spin
the
>tires in 3rd gear!

Depends on gearing, but...

I have a 196 in my 77 Scout II (read: heavier than an 80).  3spd manual,
with 4.09s and a (working) track-lok in the back.  Even with my 31x10.5s on
it, I can (once it's warmed up, and without a LOT of trying) get both rear
tires to spin on pavement and leave two black strips.  No problem.

OTOH, when I rebuilt the Holley in my '72, I put a spring in upside down
(over the little rubber "nipple") and lost a LOT of power.. as I finally
limped it over to a "real" carb shop (after 3 tries, I gave up!), I could
barely keep my 304 running... but when I pulled out into the street, with
3.73s and 235/75R15s and my 3spd, I couldn't help but squawk 'em.