Engine swaps!

Michael,

     Having both engines, 345 and 392, they look exactly the same, and are the
same size.  The only difference I have noticed is the exahaust manifold on the
392 is the one with the rear exit, instead of the center exit.  I think this has
more to do with the T'all, the frame in the T'all needs the rear exit.

     Anyway, you can bolt in a 392 wherever you have a 345, or 304, or 266, or
152, or 196, since they are all the same block, and motor mounts.  Bolt patterns
for the trans are all the same too.  The problem comes with the 6 cyls. since
they are AMC, and THOSE have the different pattern.  Reference: my last few
days' questions on the PowerThrift 6.

     My friend has a '64 Scout 80 with a 345 in it, and the Holley 2210C 2Bbl
carb.  It chirps the tires all the time, and generally gets off in a hurry.  You
have to do some modifications to the engine bay as most of the 80s were made for
the 4cyl.  His had the fender inners basically removed,and new ones fab'd by a
previous owner.  I think a 392 would go right in (now) but the truth is that
it's just too much motor.  Like putting built/pumped Chev BBs (454, etc) in
J@@ps.  Too much motor, too little vehicle.  I've actually seen J@@p drivers
drop the clutch too quick and pull the front wheels 6" off the pavement.  I
certainly don't want to have that as a potential!  Oops, sorry honey, I wheelied
the J@@P on it's butt today, can I use your car?

     The 196 is plenty for an '80 or 800, if you ask me.  The 345 will spin the
tires in 3rd gear!

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.