Re: Hub Problem, body bushings, '67 traveler available, Gears

Chris said
	"I have a 76 Scout with a 345 motor.  I have a grinding noise from my
right
front hub.  Having never rebuilt a hub before, I'm wondering just how
difficult a job it is?  Are parts difficult?  Thanks for the help."

Chris,
	I've got the same kind of noise, fairly intermitantly, but when it
goes it even pulls the truck to one side sometimes.  I was wondering if it
could be the u-joints being so worn that cocked out of line.  I tried to
rule this out by running with the hubs locked then unlocked, but it seems
not to change.  I would check it out tonight but due to a broken colar bone
things have kinda slowed a bit, this weekend I'll change the front end
u-joints anyway, as well as check the calipers and hubs.  I'd be interested
to know what you find.

---------------------------------
Rob asked
	"I'm in the process of replacing my cab mounts (as well as floors and
rockers).  I want to replace the body mount bushings, but I haven't been
able to find any at local parts stores.

Napa and Autozone don't list them.  Does anybody have a part number of
bushings they've used?  Any other suggestions?"

Rob,
	About 4 years ago, when I did my floors over, I replaced my body
bushings with energy suspension poly units, they were readily available.
They worked great, I got them through one of the mail order places in 4WOR,
it may have been RV Perf.... I forget they were about $100 for a set of
eight.  If you were looking to do any lift, now is a good time to do a body
lift if you wanted, although I will warn you there are some other mods that
have to be made, cutting/modify the fire wall for the steering column to
drop is the big one that comes to mind.  I did a 3" lift, the good thing
about it was that it came with the new bolts too.  The bushings don't come
with new bolts, you'll have to get your own at the hardware store, not a
big deal.
	I just thought of something, you didnt specify what model you are
working on, I assumed it was a II, Terra, or Traveler.  80 and 800s maybe
harder to find bushings for.

---------------------------------
'67 traveler available?????
Tim,
	Do you mean Travelall or '76?  Travelers didnt come out til '76, but
the Travelalls were around in '67.  Is it a 4by?

---------------------------------
Eric asked
	"I found a 4x4 junkyard in Victor,MT that specializes in axles, he
gave me a price of $125 for 3.07s and carrier,
is this a good deal?"

Eric,
	I would guess not, but then again I'm kinda tight.  $125 is a new set
of gears and the carrier isn't that special.
I would think $50, you pull it and walk away, then I'd go.

Layda,
Jeff T
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20