U-joints and high mileage trips...

     Allan,

     True, these are the AutoZone regular U-joints, but they have
the same casting number and look the same as the NAPA $20 ones.
Checker sells crap, and I'll look at the manufacturer of the
AutoZone joints tonight.  Are the NAPA ones lifetime? These are.
I grease mine, and it's been about 8 years now, and I still have
them in my Scout II.  I just throw them in everywhere when I get
a truck, and see what happens.  For the $5 you can afford to
carry a few spares, and I do, but -knockonwood- never needed one.
 A U-joint is so easy to put in (about 20 minutes) so it really
doesn't bother me if they blow.  I do get a discount of sometimes
up to 40% since I get it all through my Uncles' shop, but with
regard to U-joints, I really havent ever seen one that was better
for the increased price.  I've heard that with stock angles
U-joints last around 30-40K mi.  It seems I routinely get 40K+
out of the 'cheapies' and that was even on my 4" lifted '72
Suburban out in the dirt!

     About the phasing, you are correct.  Whoever has rattles,
make sure the yokes on the ends of the drive shaft are 90 deg.
out of phase.  If they are in phase,then the whole shaft 'floats'
and rattles your fillings out.  On a Double Cardon CV joint the
ends of the shaft are in phase while the ends of the assembly are
out of phase.  Weird huh?  Most IH's don't use the Double Cardon
CV tho'.  Chev's do.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.