Re: Gas Prices

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Ken J Hitchcox wrote:

> I remember $0.239, now its $1.279 for regular. My MR2 wants premium @
> $1.449. I wonder how much of that is taxes if some parts of the
> country are paying $0.85 for regular.

Here in Oregon I've always heard about 1/3 of it is taxes.  And you
thought most of the tax you pay is income tax.  There's gas tax,
property tax (isn't that really called rent??), sales tax, tax to let
your car on the road, tax for a license to exercise your Constitutional
right to travel in your car, tax to get the stuff you buy to the store
you buy it from, tax to run the city busses that run all night with 1 or
2 passengers, etc, etc.  Wanna off yourself to get away from taxes?
Forget it -- you can't even die without being taxed.  Can you tell it's
starting to tweak me a little? :)  "Tax freedom day" is, what, in late
May now?  And getting later every year.  That means we're all slaves for
almost 5 months of every year, when a Constitutional government could be
run on maybe a few days' or a week's worth.

> Gotta love California. All this and rain too!

Yup.. I did 4 years there before I managed to escape.  Even rescued a
native Californian in the process, but she's not entirely convinced
that's the proper term. :)

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783