Brake Lines

I installed the "rear brakeline from a '85 Ford E350" yesterday.. I think I
spent 2 or 3 hours on it (involved a trip to the auto parts store halfway
through that required picking things up..)

I used my steel brush and a screwdriver to clean all the crap off the top of
the axle tube, and the two steel lines and the brass block.

I then hooked up my air hose coil and blowgun, fired the motor up, and used
my new on-board air compressor to work on my truck for the first time.. I
also blew a LOT of dirt and crap into my face.. :-)  Having the exhaust
right there while I worked helped a lot too...

That done, I actually cleaned up and ran to the auto parts store.. I didn't
have a 3/8" flare wrench.

Wrench in hand, I crawled back under my Scout, and popped the two hard lines
out of the brass block, disconnected the other end of the flexible line, and
then unscrewed the diff vent bolt.

The new brake line went on without a hitch.  I used a rubber washer (no
teflon available) above and below the brass block, but in hindsight, I
wouldn't bother with the rubber.  The diff vent bolt goes cleanly into the
axle tube, and I don't believe the brass block is part of that seal.

I'm going to back and add a steel washer to the top side, just to make sure
the brass block stays where it's at.  I didn't run my diff vent hose yet.  I
needed to re-check where I want to run it to.. there was no obvious location.

I also bled the rear brakes.

BTW, I used a brand new jug of brake fluid that had been sitting in the bed
of my pickup for 8 or 9 months.. the foil seal was still on it, etc.  When I
poured it out, it was blue.  Is this a problem?

So, I now have a 4" longer rear brake line on my stock '77 Scout II.. one
less thing to worry about when my springs arrive this week.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 Scout II POW
'77 Scout II - under construction :=]