Re: sagging to port

In Digest 164 Earl C. writes
>My "new" 1972 1310 flatbed seems to have a decided lean to port (drivers
side).
>Before you make the comments, let me tell you I'm 5'9" and go 225. I'm big
but not
>that big. This was leanin' before I bought it!
>
>Where should I look first. I'm thinking (hoping?) that it's a busted shock.
Seems
>to bottom out on the frame if I hit a pretty good pothole.
>
>Please tell me it ain't the springs. I gotta' feelin' that it would be a
pretty
>good job to get the springs out from under this big dob for a recurve.
>
>Thoughts? Comments?
>
>Earl C.
>1972 1310 dually w/flatbed Nickname: Big Boy
>1989 2500 Subburban w/454. Used only to drive from gas station to the next.

Earl...One guys opinion here, but I have run into this problem not only in my
D1200, but also in two British cars I had several years ago as well as
currently in my 280ZX.  You probably won't like this answer but shocks do not
provide "lift".  Although the bottom out problem could easily be true because
the shock is bad, the constant sag is caused by...you guessed it...one guy
riding solo for too many years.  I am 6'1 and 170 lbs, soaking wet, if I have
had this problem in 4 different vehicles I guess that says something about my
dating life but...  the way I have solved this problem may be of help to you.
If, like me, you have grand ideas of stuffing in a lift in the future, swap
the front springs right to left and left to right, put new shocks in it and
drive by yourself for a year or so.  You will then notice the truck seems to
be sitting level.
I had tried putting an old Honda motorcycle engine on the passenger side for
about 18 months, but that didn't really work.  I have sworn up and down I will
not put new springs in this truck until I can afford to do the lift.  The old
bird seems to ride better all the time since I did this and actually appears
to be sitting level.  It is not the best solution but does work if you don't
want to fork over a bunch of $$$ for spring work.
Just my $1.02...Brian
'65 D1200 4X4 345 4bbl 4.10 gears the "taxi"