Brake Lines

Well, NAPA just couldn't deal with the 77079 Bendix part number but...

**************

Stock for Scout II 74-80

Front
38539 R
38538 L
 Both are 18.5" long. with 7/16-24 on one end, no thread on the other.

Rear :
38531 - 14 11/16" long, 3/8-24 on both ends

*************

The rear brake line I bought is the 20" part, NAPA 36850, rear brake line.
This is from an "Up to '85 Ford Econoline E350 Rearend".

This is the same application as the Bendix 77079 that's been mentioned, but
again, NAPA found a wheel cylinder with that part.

$26 or so for the new line.

This is the same one that has a slighly larger bolt hole for the diff vent.
They should have it in tomorrow, and I'll need to take a peek and see what
everyone's talking about Re: washers and such on the mounting bolt.  I plan
on running diff-vents from 3/8" fuel line.. will this cause me problems?

I also have a few other parts to share...

NAPA 38129 is what I ordered last night (then changed this morning with new
info re: E350).  It is a close match as well.  Not sure if the "bolt-hole"
will be just right, but the pictures looked the same, and the all-important
fittings are right.  This hose is 18 3/4" long, and was $20

Bryan Andersen coughed up some VERY valuable information that I'll use on my
'72 (I just didn't have the heart to completely cancel my order w/ NAPA
after I'd called back once or twice to change it!)

You'll need to go to BIG-A autoparts, but for $24.99 you can get

WAG F98947

This has the 3/8-24 fittings on either end, with a 7/16" bolt hole (Bryan
said it bolted right on w/ no washers, or RTV or silicone) and runs 22 9/16"
long.

This is roughly 8" over stock, so for a "simple" 4" lift, it might be
overkill.. but for a somewhat flexy spring over, this would be the ticket
(thus, my '72 will get one of these)

We looked for about 30 seconds for front brake lines... HAH HAH HAH.

It looks like our best bet is to trade in the Scout II disc calipers for
Ford calipers.  They use a much more standard 3/8-24 fitting on the caliper
(vs. the 7/16 on the Scout II), and finding longer brake lines will be very
simple.

For my '77, I think I'm going to do my best to bend the steel lines down far
enough to suffice..

But the '72 will be sportin' that buggy spring (Goofy Leaf per the recent
FourWheeler) suspension with a LOT more droop.. so it'll be getting the Ford
calipers to make things easier (Thanks go to Steve Stegman for the Ford
caliper tip)

Yes, this little ordeal will be finding it's way to my webpages very
shortly.. so no one else goes through this! :-)

Oh.. one more OUCH.. I spent just under $50 at the hardware store last night
picking up some bolts.. 12 Grade 8 7/16"x3.5" bolts, plus some power
steering bolts, lots of nuts, washers, and lock-washers.. and one can of
brown Hammerite.. (on sale @ $3, but no black!) in case I *do* get ambitious
enough to paint some stuff.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout