tranny fluids

Hi all,

I am in the process of replacing the tranny (T-19) and the transfer
case(D-300) in my '78 Scout. In my owners manual it says to use straight
mineral oil in the transfer case; SAE75W, SAE80W, or SAE90W depending on
the temperature. In the transmission it says to use engine oil; 10W30 or
10W40. Our winters here are usually quite cold and I was wondering if
synthetic oils would be a better choice in both of these. Any comments or

Cam Dingwall