Re: tranny fluids

On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Cameron Dingwall wrote:

> I am in the process of replacing the tranny (T-19) and the transfer
> case(D-300) in my '78 Scout. In my owners manual it says to use
> straight mineral oil in the transfer case; SAE75W, SAE80W, or SAE90W
> depending on the temperature. In the transmission it says to use
> engine oil; 10W30 or 10W40. Our winters here are usually quite cold
> and I was wondering if synthetic oils would be a better choice in both
> of these. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd go with synthetics in both.  They lubricate much better than
dinosaur juice, especially in both hot & cold temperature extremes.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 // VISA & MasterCard
*HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
 Grain mills, water filters, quality simple-lifestyle & outdoors products
*INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt, 1783