Re: Line setting ticket

On Wed, 04 Feb 1998 15:17:28 -0800 Scott Machalk <smachalk@domain.elided>
writes:
>I got my line setting ticket last week and I am having some trouble
>interpreting some of the stuff. If there is someone who is an expert and
>would like to help, it is at http://www.coolday.com/scout/lineset.html

First, let me say that some of what you are questioning is just a
function of the way the IH Specifications system worked that turns out to
be a bit redundant in some cases for a vehicle like the Scout, but makes
more sense in the case of a larger truck. If you had access to the
specifications system, you would be able to see that each line of your
lineset explodes to pages of part numbers and assembly drawings that
cover each part down to every nut, bolt, and washer that makes up your
Scout.  The important items to the factory were the numbers that followed
the descriptions, not the words that we look at.  One problem with the
words is that the complete description is often longer than what was
printed on the lineset, resulting in some rather cryptic descriptions on
the lineset.  There are probably few surprises hidden in the parts you
can't understand.

Your questions specifically:
Frame & Bumpers-001000 9665 AD--This spelled out the 470 040C93 frame
assembly that went under your truck and not a different one for a 6-258
or the diesel or the Traveler/Terra, along with the bumper and mounting
parts.

Dual Hyd Brake Control-004010 9661 BFG--This spells out the complete
brake system from the pedal down to, but not including the wheel
cylinders and shoes.  Because the power brakes were standard, there's
nothing here to indicate this includes the power brake vacuum booster as
well.

11.75x1/18 Disc w/3.1-004138 9652--This is your front wheel brake
assemblies, 11.75" diam disc x 1 1/8" thick..  I think it's trying to say
3.1" wheel cylinders, but this is a case that's truncated.

11x2 1/4 w/15/16 wh cyl-004221 9562--Rear wheel drum brakes, 11" diam x 2
1/4" wide, 15/16" diam wheel cylinders.

79 Scout Steering-005711 9651 A--The complete steering system from the
steering wheel down to the steering gear (and possibly even the drag
link), modified by other lines that show it to have the optional power
steering gear and the tilting wheel mechanism.

Driveline Labor Mtg-006100 9653--This one is probably just a code to
cover costs involved and to meet the requirement that there be some kind
of driveline code--006xxx in the specs.  The actual shaft used is spelled
out by the next line.

Front End Sheet Metal Not-009000 9662 A--The hood and fenders of all IH
trucks ahead of the firewall were spelled out in group 009 and not a part
of the body code shown later.  This just provides for your front fenders,
hood, and grille parts.  I'd have to be able to see the full description
to know where the "not" came from

Emission Labels-010210 9655 BKS--All trucks required some kink of labels
specifying what emissions rules they complied with.  This tells the
factory what labels to put on.

Modulated Fan-012738 9656 B--The only option offered on the Scout for the
fan was the one that modulated itself with the viscous fluid in the hub,
which is what yours had.

Optional Gear Ratios-014901 9652--Why a separate line was needed to
specify the 3.54 ratio that is called out with the RA-28 axle on the line
above I can't say, but it probably had something to do with controlling
the ordering of stock, etc.  Incidentally, although not included in the
words, the RA-28 axle does indicate that you have the optional Trac Loc
diff rather than the open diff that would have been an RA-18.

Custom Interior LHD-016834 9658 DP--This indicates you received the
fancier interior with the fabric seat covers and the rear side panel
carpeting.

Black Interior Trim PCK--016874 9655--This just specifies the custom
interior above is black, along with some other standard interior parts.

The repetition down in the wheel codes is partly due to the fact that the
front wheels are always spelled out separately from the rear--redundant
here, but not on most trucks with duals in the rear.  Why it takes two
lines each for the front and rear wheels,  I can't fully explain other
than this was the way the system worked.  You will not that each line
does have different code numbers that indicate something different to the
plant.  The 945208 is the spare tire line I believe.

I hope this helps you understand how the lineset got the way it is.  I
can say that most of the time, I usually have little need to pay
attention to the lines in question myself.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]