Those darn spring bushings

I changed the bushings in my Scout a couple of years ago.  I
drilled out the rubber (propane torch didn't get hot enough
quick enough) and then used a small cold chisel and a 2 lb
sledge hammer to beat the hell out of the doggone sleeves.
Once I got the edge bent down enough to form a lip, I used a
rust-welded shackle half and bolt to beat the hell out of
the suckers until they came out.  You can make a tool by
getting a stout, long bolt, say 3/8 x 6 or so.  Thread a nut
down a ways, stack a few washers together so's they won't
bend, thread another nut and tighten it all together.  Use
the chisel to work a lip on the sleeve, then clamp the
homemade tool in Vise Grips (so you don't hit your hand),
place the washers against the sleeve, and beat the hell out
of it.   I hear air chisels work well, but I didn't use my
el-cheapo one.  I cut my 1/2" chisel off short and held it
with Vise Grips after beating the hell out of my hand for
awhile.  Use a cheap chisel, cuz it'll be trashed when
you're done.  If you can use some kind of backing on the
spring eyes, the job would be easier.  I used the rear frame
eye to hold the spring eye whilst I beat it.  The front eyes
just "boinged" a lot until I got the sleeves out.  You might
need to remove the springs from the axles, but then you
gotta spring for new U-bolts.  ...and use lots of
penetrating oil for a week or two before starting.

Doug
'78 Scout
'78 Traveler