auto tranny

Hey all,

Today while backing out of the parking lot, I lost reverse with a
clunk.  I have a '75 II with an auto.  I thought that I had lost the
low/reverse band, but putting it in low I could drive.  Now I'm not sure
what it is.  Anythoughts?

Second, I guess the tranny will have to be rebuilt.  I called around
local shops to find prices.  I got a quote of $389 carry in or $700 if
they do it all.  My question, should I try this myself or spend the
money and have the shop do it?

Mark