Locked Hub

IH all,
  Well, I think the final chapter in the hub saga is this one.  I followed
Howard's advice and pulled both hubs.  Had to wait for a dry day here in
the great N.W.  With both out, the growl from the pumpkin was gone.  The I
put the first one in, set to free.  Growl came right back.  Pulled it out,
dropped the other one in.  No growl.  I took apart the growler.  The book's
no help.  Took a while to figure out that all I had to do was pull the post
holding the base plate from twisting and the spring assy screwed right out.
   When I set the spring and slide block on the bench, it looked like the
leaning tower of pizza!  One of the springs were broken.  When I engaged
the hub, no problem.  When I tried to back the hub off, it was binding (pun
INTENDED ;-) by not coming out straight.
   So for now; I left the spring and slider off, and capped the hub opening
with the selecter.  Gotta ht the bone yard for a spare or maybe a set of
the full manual without springs.  Hope my gas milage gets back above single
digits again!!!!!!!  I changed the diff fluid just to be safe - whew what a
smell.  Figured while I was down there I'd hit the zerks with grease gun -
steering is much better now.  Thanks again for the help.

						Mike
Mike, Rita, and Megan Stenstrom
stenmnr@domain.elided (home)
stenstm@domain.elided (work)
UNIX and LSD... the two most popular things to come out of  Berkeley.
I don't think it's a coincidence!" - Anonymous