Re: Vacuum Advance

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Eric Walter wrote:

> Mark A Pepe wrote:
> >
> >         Does anybody know how I could lessen the advannce on the vacuum
> > advance unit?
>
> Now that I think about it, the flyweights inside the distributor
> advance and the vacuum retards.

Nope, the vacuum advance _advances_ the timing as manifold vacuum
increases.  We went through this at some length a while back.  Remember,
guys? :-)

To lessen the vacuum advance, you'd have to change to a heavier spring
in the vacuum servo on the distributor, or change the whole servo, or
change some other parts in the distributor, but I have no idea if the
parts to do it are available.  If it's pinging when it shouldn't be,
maybe there's some problem that needs fixing, like the distributor's
innards are stuck, or there's a bunch of carbon in the cylinders that's
causing detonation.

Daniel Youngquist / dany@domain.elided / 541-688-9263 //  VISA & MasterCard
* HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS                    http://www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
  Grain mills, water filters, quality simple lifestyle & outdoors products
* INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE  Computer Memory  http://www.teleport.com/~dany
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is
 the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt, 1783