Flame arrestor

Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 20:06:23 +0000
From: gehl@domain.elided
Subject: FlameArrestorChange

Tim et al.,
Share with us your experiences in replacing the flame arrestor with
the air compressor filter.  What of the hose connected to the
arrestor?  Performance changes?  Mark

------------------------------

Mark,
I guess I need to explain myself.  First I didn't remove my flame arrestor,
(assuming  you mean the plate in the top of the valve cover)  All I did was
put an all brass air  muffler in the hole where the hose came out of the valve
cover!
When I bought my '75 150/345  the air filter was missing. after spending
several hours getting it to run.  I felt like I needed an air filter before
driving on the dirt roads to test her out.  I didn't have anything around the
shop that would fit so I went to my circle shear and cut two 14" x 14 gauge
disc. Cut a hole in one to fit the carb and and drilled the other for the
stud, and sandwiched a filter in between.  The hose from valve cover was just
sticking up like a goose's neck so I unscrewed it and installed a brass
muffler. ( I have a lot of odd machinery around to rob parts from)) At the
time I didn't want any more dirt to get in the engine.  I really couldn't tell
of any performance changes.  Later I was able to get the proper filter housing
from my " ex uncle in law" who with his brother ( my ex, dead F.inLaw) had the
local IH dealership and still has a few parts around, if you can get him to
part with them.

Tim Smith
Douglasville, GA