RE: Travelall Q's

>As a longtime Jeep owner/user/builder I have recently discovered the
Travelall
>and thought one would be perfect for a support/recovery vehicle for me. My
>initial information gathering on IH (from the web and all of the dozens of
4WD
>mags I have stacked up) has me sold on the idea. However, I have not been
able
>to find some basic answers about the Travelall.
>
>1) What axles came standard under them? I recently looked at a '73 1100
that
>looked like it had a Dana 60 rear and Dana 44 front, are the 1200's the
same?

Once you get firmly into the 60's, fronts were Dana 44, 60, and 70
depending on the model and rated axle capacity. Rear axles can be any of
the above plus a couple af variants on the IH built 'Timken' style.

>2) What transfer case was used, Dana 20?

Most always a New Process gear drive, TC-141. Close to an NP205 in the
earlier units, AFAIK it is a 205 in later trucks('70 on?)

>3) What 4-speed, T-18? Both wide and close ratios?

In the 60's, T-98, maybe different ratios available, I'm not sure. Also
T-36 5 speeds, a heavy duty 4 speed I've never even seen, and a heavy duty
all syncro 3 spd.

>4) Is there anything particular to Travelalls to watch out for (I'm
primarily
>interested in rigs from the 60's)?

Like what? I can probably advise on many specifics that most folks have
either seen before or don't care about ;).

>Thanks for any help you can give me and I hope no one is offended by a
Jeep
>guy "crossing over"

Well, we do tend to spell that J*&^ around these parts ;)

Seriously, I know that several list members actually own
Willys/Kaiser/AMC/Mopar(who owns that dang brand, anyway??)products, others
have AMC engines gracing their Scouts, and my '64 T-all has a 401 in it.
Personally, I think Jeeps are great.....for stealing parts off of.

Jim