Re: ihc-digest V5 #133 traces of metal in the tranny

Did they show you the traces of metal???

Every time I change the oil in my Aerostar manual tranny there is some
metal.  Ford even put in a magnetic oil drain plug to catch the pieces.
Same for the rear end.  Mag strip on the back cover.

There's always going to be some metal coming off.  How long has it been
since it was changed before???  I'd drive it for a month and change it
again *myself* and see what's in there.  If it is fine as powder I would
forget about it.  Big chunks....  that's something else.

On an automatic the most important things are 1- don't let the fluid get
low. 2- Don't rev against the brakes for drag racing start 3- Leave it in
drive 4- Smell the fluid when you pull the dipstick.  Most of what goes
wrong in there will locally cook the fluid.  This shows up as a smell and
premature brown to black color. Drop a few drips on some hot metal to learn
what it smells like.  If you get this smell or the fluid suddenly starts
to turn black, then have it looked at.

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776