'65 Scout Commanche

Okay, guys, anyone that is reading this, I need some input.  I just
looked at a 1965 Scout 80 w/152, manual, two stick transfer case, and
55,000 original miles.  It has been doing a lot of sitting, but it is in
very solid condition.  The engine looks incredibly clean, and from the
looks of the rest of it, and the other vehicles that the guy has, I
would say he didn't spend hours cleaning out the engine compartment
trying to impress me.  He is asking $1400/obo it started right up, and
held it's idle, he's rebuilt the slave cylinder, though not
perfectly-still has a small leak, and he said the heater core was
leaking, so he currently has the core disconnected.  On the top of the
engine (valve cover) there is a small "Sticker" or label that says,
"comanche."  He claims to have changed all four wheel cylinders, and run
new brake lines.  It has two tanks.  It also has the original bottle
jack, and original spare.  He said it was geared very low-4.27?  Is that
right?  I'm guessing that it probably will not be great on the highway,
but it's my favorite year, and it seems to me like a very good deal.
My main questions are:  What does the "Comanche" tag mean?
		Does this sound like a great deal to anyone else?
I don't want to be an idiot if it's not, but in the Northern California
market, the old 80's seem hard to come by, and with those miles on it, I
think it's pretty killer.  It's complete bare bones-he claims it's all
stock except for the wheel cylinders, plug wires, and ignition coil.  He
claims the tires are the originals too.  They are very worn, and are
definitely old-not radials, but would they have lasted 55,000?
Anyway, some other guy had left him a $500.00 deposit, but wanted to
check some things out.  It has not been registered for over 7 years, so
the DMV has no file on it at all.  What is entailed in getting a salvage
title, or bringing a salvage title up to running?  Also, if I were to
re-gear it for better highway use, would that be difficult?  I know I'd
have to do both front and rear axles, but it can be done, right?
He's supposed to call me at 3:00 Pacific time to let me know if the
other guy came through.  I told him I'd go $1000.00, and if the other
guy was trying to jack him around to call me and I'd try to scrape up
some more.  It would put me in a big bind financially right now, but I
could do it.  What I am looking for is someone to talk me out of it if
they think it's not a good deal.
Thanks!
Michael