Otherwise normal, winch cable, tires,etc.

>From: nickl@domain.elided (Nick Leiterman)
>Subject: Broken winch cable
>
>I broke about 30 ft off of my winch cable.  Does anyone know of a
>place near Kent WA that can repair the end of my cable.
>
>Thanks
>=20
>Nick Leiterman

Nick,
What do you mean by repair, do you want the hook put back on, new cable, or
what?
As maybe the premier cable breaker of all time, when my cable would break,
I'd put two cable fasteners on it temporarily until I got back home and
then I'd replace it because I knew that any even-beginning-of-a-kink
reduces the strength of the cable an incredible amount.  Expensive, but the
right way to do it.
John

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:38:37 EST
>From: n9ads@domain.elided (Howard R Pletcher)
>Subject: Re: Sig Files
>
>On Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:04:33 GMT jlandry@domain.elided (John A. Landry)
>writes:
>>
>>Still not convinced you need help John?  Trust me, before you know it,
>>you'll start getting kicked off mailing lists because your .Sig file
>>is simply too long and annoying.  You'll be forced to start your own
>>mailing lists just so you can see your .Sig file being transmitted
>around the
>>Internet.  It'll begin to affect your interpersonal relationships with
>>others.  People will ask your ISP to cut off your ability to send
>>e-mail. You'll get to the point where you don't even read the text of
>e-mail
>>you receive... you'll head straight for the .Sig file info.  I've seen
>it
>>before and it's sad to see what this terrible disability can do to
>>otherwise normal human beings.
>>
>John L,
>
>I thought you were serious until I got to that last line and realized
>that you can't be talking about John H.  He may or may not be guilty of
>heinous crimes against humanity, but I don't believe anyone has called
>him OTHERWISE NORMAL before.
>
>That's a low blow  to be directed at a fellow Scout owner!

Yeah, John L., when you call me OTHERWISE NORMAL, that's going too far.
Thanks a lot Howard for sticking up for me.
John

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:14:20 -0700 (MST)
>From: Mark A Pepe <mpepe@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Shifter boot, transmission tune-up
>
>Hi all,
>
>	I was wondering if anyone had a idea as to where I could get a
>shifter boot for my 76 traveler (automatic) ? Any cars, Trucks out there
>with one similar enough to use?

I got a new one from Giddum-Up a few years back. Brand new, not reclaimed.
John

>(like most scouts). I can't afford $600 outright so... Is it real
>difficult to service the Tourque flight tranny? or should I have a good
>shop do it but save myself labor by pulling it myself? I'm pretty sure I
>can do the X-fer case myself but I have no experience with automatic
>transmissions. What sayeth thee ???
>
>Many Thanks in advance
>

>Mark A. Pepe			mpepe@domain.elided		Tucson,Az

Mark,
Although I've never rebuilt one, the 727 has a reputation of being an
eminently rebuildable tranny. My son, the mechanic, has done several for me
in his home shop and I know he has done a number of others. You might want
to check for sure what is leaking. The sump pan has a particular place it
likes to leak unless the gasket is helped with a really good sealer.  A
common place for the 727 to leak buckets of fluid is the seal where the
shift shaft comes up out of the case. I mean this sucker can really leak.
It seems to only leak when the vehicle has been sitting and I guess the
fluid accumulates in the main tranny housing. Some guys replace this seal
from the top, although in my opinion, it's easier to do dropping the valve
body. If it's either or both of these seals, it is a do-it-yourself project
if you want it to be. However, the $600 bucks the tranny shop quoted you is
an exceptionally good price. It would cost you twice that around here.
Getting the darn thing out and back in is a $600 job if I were doing it.
John
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 21:56:35 -0700
>From: "CDesPlanques" <adesp@domain.elided>
>Subject: Compression #s
>
>Hey Guys,
>I just got around to doing a compression test on my '67 Scout(196).  All
>Tested about the same, about 120  Sounds pretty good to me,
>but what do you guys think? What does the shop manual say?
>Chris Des Planques
>'67 800

Chris,
Sounds good especially the consistency.
I wonder if the FAQ has a section on compression. Why don't I go look, you
say? All right, I will.
John

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:04:36 -0700 (MST)
>From: Luke Nelson <lnelson@domain.elided>
>Subject: How big of tires can you put on my travelall?
>
>IH all,
>
>	snip
>
>	SO I guess what I am asking is how big of a 15 and 16 icnch tire
>can I put on my Travelall?
>
>Thanks all,
>Luke

The best tires I ever had as far as performance were on my  1210 Travelall.
They were 7.50 X16 s on split rims, which I guess were on it because it was
a three-quarter  ton vehicle.  They were Michelins and all my friends
called them "those skinny French tires" . As you may already know, skinny
tires have a lot of advantages. Here in the snow, the skinny tires go where
my sand tires dare not tread. My daddy always liked a story about going to
work in the snow when all he had was his Model A with the 19 inch skinny
tires on it, and going past those who could afford newer cars with what we
would now consider more modern tires. In places like Canyon de Chelley, I'd
drop the pressure in my Michelins to about 12 pounds and the tires would
look like airplane tires (round and fat) and went anyplace I ever asked it
to go, except they let me sink in the quicksand 6 times in one day, where I
set the worlds record for broken winch cables mentioned in the post above.
Those skinny tires also handled really well on the highway and I suspect
they were easy on the front end. The Michelins are on the Travelall
winching up Surprise Canyon on my web site. I know I didn't really answer
your question, but ........
John

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:07:03 -0700 (MST)
>From: Luke Nelson <lnelson@domain.elided>
>Subject: Travelall passed emmissions :)
>
>IH all :)
>
>	I just watned to report that the old travelal passed emmissions
>with flying colors :)
>	I am allowed 2000 HC's and I am putting out 53 :)  I guess all
>that work payed off eh? :)
>
>	Thanks,
>	Luke
Good going Luke, what state are you in?
John

>4. Insure that the ignition wires are in good condition and you aren't getting
>cross firing.
>
>Good luck,
>
>John

Also check the inside of the distributor cap for tracking (carbon buildup
across the inside of the cap) which can cause the spark to jump to the
wrong plug wires.
John

>Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:19:09 -0500
>From: Mike Marentette <mmarentette@domain.elided>
>Subject: Travelall Exhaust Manifold

.  What I was
>thinking of was sealing the crack with J-B Weld, but I don't know if it
>will stand up to the temperatures.  I was wondering if anyone has had a
>similar problem, and if so, tried J-B Weld to seal their exhaust
>manifold?  Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
>
>Best Regards,
>Mike Marentette
Mike,
I haven't tried that but I use a lot of JB weld, and although I like it a
lot, I remove it from things by heating it some with a torch. I would think
that your exhaust manifold gets much too hot for JB weld.
I'm about to send this and see that John L. has replied much better than I
but.....
John

John Hofstetter, who nets at   http://www.goldrush.com/~hofs
PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
Owner of 79 Scout Terra  with 8000 lb. Warn Winch,
Detroit Locker in rear and LS in front,
 4" Trailmaster lift    Holley E F I  Mallory Unilite Dist.   MSD ignition
Too darn long and too darn wide  to always go where I ask it to go.
NRA, Life Member   Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assn.
Blue Ribbon Coalition              Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group     MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators,  Life Member