	Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 13:00:13 -0800
	From: "Joseph M. Shaw, II" <MikeIIDC@domain.elided>
	Subject: '65 Scout Commanche

	Okay, guys, anyone that is reading this, I need some input.  I
just
	looked at a 1965 Scout 80 w/152, manual, two stick transfer
case, and
	55,000 original miles.  It has been doing a lot of sitting, but
it is in
	very solid condition.  The engine looks incredibly clean, and
from the
	looks of the rest of it, and the other vehicles that the guy
has, I
	would say he didn't spend hours cleaning out the engine
compartment
	trying to impress me.  He is asking $1400/obo it started right
up, and
	held it's idle, he's rebuilt the slave cylinder, though not
	perfectly-still has a small leak, and he said the heater core
was
	leaking, so he currently has the core disconnected.  On the top
of the
	engine (valve cover) there is a small "Sticker" or label that
says,
	"comanche."  He claims to have changed all four wheel cylinders,
and run
	new brake lines.  It has two tanks.  It also has the original
bottle
	jack, and original spare.  He said it was geared very low-4.27?
Is that
	right?  I'm guessing that it probably will not be great on the
highway,
	but it's my favorite year, and it seems to me like a very good
deal.
	My main questions are:  What does the "Comanche" tag mean?
			Does this sound like a great deal to anyone
else?
	I don't want to be an idiot if it's not, but in the Northern
California
	market, the old 80's seem hard to come by, and with those miles
on it, I
	think it's pretty killer.  It's complete bare bones-he claims
it's all
	stock except for the wheel cylinders, plug wires, and ignition
coil.  He
	claims the tires are the originals too.  They are very worn, and
are
	definitely old-not radials, but would they have lasted 55,000?
	Anyway, some other guy had left him a $500.00 deposit, but
wanted to
	check some things out.  It has not been registered for over 7
years, so
	the DMV has no file on it at all.  What is entailed in getting a
salvage
	title, or bringing a salvage title up to running?  Also, if I
were to
	re-gear it for better highway use, would that be difficult?  I
know I'd
	have to do both front and rear axles, but it can be done, right?
	He's supposed to call me at 3:00 Pacific time to let me know if
the
	other guy came through.  I told him I'd go $1000.00, and if the
other
	guy was trying to jack him around to call me and I'd try to
scrape up
	some more.  It would put me in a big bind financially right now,
but I
	could do it.  What I am looking for is someone to talk me out of
it if
	they think it's not a good deal.
	Thanks!
	Michael