Re: Piston Questions

"DENNIS L. PETTERSON II" <dpetters@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>Is this piston from the heavier duty trucks or is it from the LPG
>fueled trucks?If the LPG engines used a higher compression piston can the
>gas engine use this piston or is the compression ratio too high for gas?

My IH shop manual indicates the LPG 304 V8 has slightly higher compression
than the gasoline version (8.26:1 verses 8.19:1), but the LPG 345 V8 has
slightly lower compression than the gasoline version (8.28:1 verses 8.14:1).
I don't know what to make of that information, but in any case I'd sure think
using domed pistons would increase the compression a lot more than about a
10th of a pound of pressure.

Depending on how much the domed pistons do raise the compression, it would
simply increase the octane requirement of the engine.  How much is hard to say
unless you know what the compression ratio is.

Regards,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |  1976 Scout Traveler "Patriot" model
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |   V345A, 727, 3.54, MSD, Edelbrock