EV's, Intelligence and Geography,

While hovering his black helicopter over my computer,
Steve Stegmann (stegmann@domain.elided) downloaded:

>Mostly in southern California, which seems to be a land of
>no hard thinking. You never hear about this stuff from Minnesota.
>Does the harsh winter bring reality into focus or something.

In Minnestosa people have to be realistic to survive. Bucky Fuller
contended that technology (& hard thinking) developed in the north first
and faster because people needed so much more stuff & skills to deal
with the elements. In the tropics you had no predators, coconuts falling
on your head at lunchtime. No need for much shelter, fish swim into your
hands, etc. So is it smarter to live where you have to be smart to
survive or smarter to live at club med? Note that San Francisco seems to
be the worse of both worlds, cold enough so you feel crappy, but not
cold enough to have decent heat in you apartment or snow for your 4x4.

Re EV's: at the solar utopia in Mendicino County, I have seen several
EV's. In home power magazine, there are EV columns with problem solving
discussions not too different from the ones here in the digest. I think
the current state of EV's is similar to that of the IH's - they work for
a narrow eclectic segment of the vehicle going public.

Urban legend or not: I read that someone was testing putting a catalytic
coating on car radiators so that when they warm up the air passing
through them would be cleaned, creating NEVs - Negative Emissions
Vehicles.

Rebuilt Engines: The Navistar dealer in Santa Rosa said they quit making
"crate" gas engines a couple of years ago, but he has "factory rebuilt"
engines and quoted me $2688 for 392 and $2345 for 345.

Rob Kasper