Re: Starting Problems

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 00:40:34 EST Mallinson1 <Mallinson1@domain.elided> writes:
>I haven't been able to start my C100 pickup for a week, since the
>first deep freeze here in Seattle.  Initially it fired and I set the
choke, got
>out and started to scrape my windows.  Within 2-3 minutes it died.  The
choke
>was within the range I usually have it set.  It wouldn't start after
that.
> I thought it had flooded, so I held the accelerator pedal down for a
few
>minutes to clear the carb and tried again - no luck.  Then the extremely
steep
>road by our house froze and I wasn't too worried about not driving my
2wd w/o
>heater
>;-).  I squirted some starter fluid into the carb and it would fire,
>but couldn't sustain itself.  So, I figure it is either spark or fuel.
>(Can't be much else, there isn't that many parts, <g>)  Fixing it is a
little
>tough because it is parked outside across from my condo and I get home
after
>dark. I am getting a friend to tow it to her garage where we can work on
it
>Saturday.  I'm going to see if gas is getting into the carb and if it
>smells like gas (rather than doesn't smell --i.e. water), and thought
about
>pulling the fuel pump to see the same thing.  I'll also dump some
isopropyl
>alcohol in the gas tank to dry out the lines.  The plugs/wires were
changed last
>summer.
>The timing may need to be adjusted, but it runs pretty good.  What am
>I missing?

If it fires with starting fluid, then you're getting spark, but not fuel.
 You might pull the output line off the fuel pump and crank it a little
to see if the problem is upstream in the tank, line, or pump or in the
carb.  I suspect you have a glass bowl fuel filter on the bottom of the
pump.  Check that out to see if there's fuel there.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts