Re: Starting Problems

Steve,
On a Scout I had with a 345, I had the same problem. I had just got the
truck a short time before, and was getting new tires put on it. The guys at
the tire shop had no trouble starting the truck and putting it in the shop,
but they could not start it to get it out. The problem turned out to be a
homemade linkage on the carb. When the gas pedal was pushed right to the
floor, the linkage got hung up and stuck wide open. This meant that the
excellerator pump was not working and the truck simple was not getting
enough gas to start.

IMHO it is next to impossible to flood a IH engine. In the winter I pull my
choke out all the way, pump the gas two or three times, and start cranking.
If it does not start right away I just keep pumping the gas until it fires.
I have used this technique with all my different Scouts and it works. The
colder it gets the more gas it seems to need.

Cam Dingwall

1978 Scout II 196/T-332/4.09
1980 Scout II Turbo diesel/T-19/3.29
1974 Scout II 304/T-18/4.09 (sold when I moved to the east coast)
1978 Scout II 345/727/ 3.54 (sold when I decided to move back)