More on Batts

While browsing around NAPA last night, I also came across two battery
isolators.. a 90amp and a 120amp, at $35 and $65.

They would allow you to setup your batteries to have ONE alternator CHARGE
BOTH, but isolate current *drain* between the two batts.

Thus, one battery for winching can ONLY be sucked down by the winch, while
the other battery turns the starter, and can ONLY be sucked down by the
starter, but when you fire the motor and the alternator has some excess
juice, it gets sent to BOTH batteries for charging.

The 90 or 120amp rating was how much "charge" that could be distributed..
fortunately, I've only found 90amp alternators for my Scouts, so the $35 job
is the way to go..

I would also install some secondary battery switches, so that I could start
/ winch from either battery or BOTH in an emergency situation.

*SMILE* The "best" approach would be two 90amp alts, and two batteries..
with some fancy current draw isolation setup.. :-)

BTW, am I correct in my asusmption that the OPTIMA batteries are a "fully"
sealed battery, thus NO hydrogen danger?  Just thinking that one could mount
an Optima somewhere inside the cab, if space under the hood is at a premium..

For that matter, put your winch on a receiver cradle, and put the extra
Optima in the bed.. maybe take a chunk out of the inner bedwall to somewhat
flush mount the battery in the side of the bed.. use some disconnects for
your winch in the back, and some heavy welding wire up front to the main
electrical system.

This would make rear winching easier, though you'd need to be careful on
current draw *from* the battery to the engine bay.. if, for instance, you
needed to start from the remote Optima.

OTOH, it would also make wiring for that 1000w sub-woofer amplifier much
easier.. :-)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs