Re: ihc-digest V5 #123

I think Mark asked this a while back and I haven't seen any answers to it.
I was wondering about it myself, too.  Don't the A/C compressors have to
have some kind of lubricant from the freon??  One of my uncles says it
doesn't, he's a mechanic and has apparently done this conversion to an air
compressor.  One of my other uncles, however, said that they do require
lubrication from the freon.  He used to be a mechanic, but got out of it
about 10 years ago.  Who is right??  I'm not sure, but could both of them
be right, i.e. could/do the newer compressors that use the new refrigerant
not need lubrication from the lubricant, and the older ones that use freon
need the lubricant??  My uncle who has done the conversion said that the
one he did it on didn't put out that much pressure, and that a compressor
that plugged into a 12v outlet would probably work better.
I am thinking about doing this conversion on a compressor and putting it
on my 800.  Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Dan Felix
1966 Scout 800
1965 Scout 80