Ignition timing experiments.

Sorry about the bandwidth on battery vehicles yesterday.  Stressful day.

Scout started right up for the trip home.  That's once at 17 deg and once
at 19 deg.  Before MSD I wouldn't even bother to walk close on cold
days.  It was completely hopeless.

I've been experimenting with the ignition timing.  I have the MSD timing
control on mine (dial change from the cab).  With premium gas it works
fine at 15 deg BTDC.  Actually runs better than ever.  Good starting, good
idle, good cold running, decent gas mileage (16.4 on the interstate @
65mph), good top end, pulls excellent at low rpm (rpm by IH standards).

I put 2/3 tank of Mobil regular in it.  Boy, does it run better on Mobil
premium.  On premium there is no coughing or hacking.  With regular if I
take the timing back to 8 Deg BTDC it doesn't ping but it does cough and
hack pulling up from 5 mph in 3rd gear up a slight grade.

I need to stop the exhaust chirping, it may be masking some pinging.
Anyone remember the Navistar part number for the proper plugs for the air
injection holes.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776