Re: ihc-digest V5 #123

>>>>> "daniel" == daniel r felix 1 <dfelix2@domain.elided> writes:

    daniel> I think Mark asked this a while back and I haven't seen
    daniel> any answers to it.  I was wondering about it myself, too.
    daniel> Don't the A/C compressors have to have some kind of
    daniel> lubricant from the freon??  One of my uncles says it

The Scout compressors (York) that I've seen have a fill/check plug on
the top, and they take oil in the crankcase.  The shop manual
describes the procedure for making a dipstick to check it.  But, you
can't check it without letting freon out.  So, I'd say on a Scout, you
can get away without having oil in the freon, just in the crankcase.
On Jap compressors (like a sanden), where the compressor body is
round, and there are multiple, small pistons, rather than one big one
like a York, I believe that all the lubrication must be supplied by
the freon.

I've never done the conversion, and probably won't - it's hot enough
here I'd rather have the A/C.

--

Steve Grossman                                   	grossman@domain.elided