Alcohol, Starter solenoids and such

>the fuel pump to see the same thing.  I'll also dump some isopropyl alcohol in
>the gas tank to dry out the lines.  The plugs/wires were changed last summer.
>The timing may need to be adjusted, but it runs pretty good.  What am I
>missing?
>
>Steve
>======================
>Steve Mallinson
>Macintosh User
>Diehard Bronco Fan, thru 4 lost Superbowls
>`62 C100 Pick-up
>no heat or defrost, yet
>Seattle, WA

Steve,
Since you're using the right computer, let me tell you that you don't use
Isopropyl alcohol as a dryer. You use a wood alcohol, methenol, which is
anhydrous and gobbles up the water.  If you look at a bottle of gas dryer,
you'll see that is so. Don't drink it , no matter how cold it gets.  You
should easily see if the gas is getting to the carb by looking into the
carb throat and having someone pump the accelerator. You will see the spray
if there is gas in the bowl.  If you have gas, try wiping out the inside of
the distributor cap, spraying the outside with WD-40. Usually intermittent
starting problems in damp places go back to the distributor.
Good luck.
John

>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 19:27:19 +0000
>From: gehl@domain.elided
>Subject: StarterSelenoidReprise
>
>To JohnH and other lurkers (dive in anytime),
>Starter selenoid topic (I'll keep this quick).
>Where can I find the binder bulletin FAQ information?  I agree, the
>Ford (or other brand) of selenoid as a key switch relay is a great
>idea.  What I am baffled over is the use of a remote relay to replace
>completely the bendix internal relay.  This sounds good as it would
>get it away from the heat of the exhaust manifold and it will work
>electrically, but won't there then exist a gear crunch problem due
>to the starter motor spinning as it engages the flywheel ring gear?
>Tell me more about the Ford partial selenoid replacement?  I notice
>that at least some Ford starters have no piggyback selenoid.  Do they
>use centrifugal force to engage the pinion?
>
>I am open to all tips on how to get the electrics away from heat and
>road debris.  All lurkers invited!  Mark

Mark,
By the way, the two small terminals on my Ford solenoid are marked S for
start and I for ignition. If you are using the relay in the manner I
described you will want to have the hot wire from the key going to the S
terminal so that the stuff you run from the relay is on both when the
engine is cranking and when it is not.  I don't know enough about using the
Ford solenoid as a partial replacement for the Delco on Scouts to say much
about it, but yes the Ford starters engaged the ring gear or flywheel by
(not by centrifugal force) but by long gear teeth cut in the starter shaft
that moves the small gear forward against spring pressure into the ring
gear teeth. After the engine started, the spring returned the small gear
back to rest against the starter housing.  I would guess that  this system
was designed by Bendix and is the reason that "bendix " is now so often
used generically to describe almost any starter engagement system.  You can
access the FAQ for how to do the conversion through  www.binderbulletin
I think Jim G. made a post here on this digest about how the Ford solenoid
bypasses part of the Delco. I understand the concept but don't have a Delco
here in front of me to even guess at the connections. Here is the concept:
On the Delco, when the electromagnet is energized and the bendix starts to
move forward, in the solenoid itself, a copper ring moves to complete a
heavy duty electrical connection and allow current to flow from the battery
cable into the starter itself. The Ford can replace this contact maker
section of the Delco solenoid, but you still have to have the Delco engage
the starter gear with the ring gear.  In my experience, the most common
failure of the Delco is in that copper section that completes the circuit.
I have filed, sanded and greased many of them, usually with only limited
time success to the repair.  On the FAQ, you will see that there is a kit
sold to do the conversion, but you can get your own solenoid and do it
without the kit.
Hope you find this helpful.
John

John Hofstetter , who shows up at   www.goldrush.com/~hofs
PROBABLY MORE TO REMEMBER THAN EVER REALLY HAPPENED
Owner of 79 Scout Terra  with 8000 lb. Warn Winch,
Detroit Locker in rear and LS in front,
 4" Trailmaster lift    Holley E F I  Mallory Unilite Dist.   MSD ignition
Too darn long and too darn wide  to always go where I ask it to go.
NRA, Life Member   Calif. Rifle and Pistol Assn.
Blue Ribbon Coalition              Friends of Death Valley
Sierra Macintosh Users Group     MacTwain Macintosh Users Group
Association of California School Administrators,  Life Member